Microsoft provides email clients for both Windows and Mac platforms — MS Outlook and Outlook for Mac, respectively – to make Exchange connectivity easier. Both Outlook for Windows and Outlook for Mac has a similar user interface and work similarly. The distinction is that Outlook for Windows stores user mailbox data in PST files, whereas Outlook for Mac uses OLM files.
Furthermore, Outlook for Mac lacks the same feature set as Microsoft Outlook. Here we have listed effective manual methods for you and a professional approach using the OLM Converter tool. The software is totally safe and highly recommended by experts in this field. But before that, let us know the reasons for the OLM file to PST.
The Outlook for Mac application’s database is stored in an OLM file. It was created with the architecture of macOS in mind. Outlook for Mac has a different user interface and folder hierarchy than Outlook for Windows, so you’ll need to convert the Outlook OLM to PST format if you switch from iMac to Windows.
Reasons for Conversion of OLM file to PST:
The following reasons are given below for the conversion of the OLM file to PST:
- Due to the lack of a Mac environment or temporary work in a Windows environment.
- The company is permanently migrating to the Windows environment.
- In order to expand the portability of email data as Windows environment is widely used.
- Need to recover data from orphaned OLM files that were transferred or found on the system.
- As a result of company mergers or acquisitions, now workers are increasingly performing in a Windows environment.
- Only for a limited duration, you’ll need to use the Windows environment.
Previously, we discussed various reasons for the conversion of the OLM file to PST. Now we’ll look at how to convert OLM to PST manually.
Manual Ways To Convert OLM file to PST
After the given reason, now we will discuss the manual methods of converting OLM file to PST, which is listed below:-
- How to Create an IMAP Account
- Configure Outlook for Mac with an IMAP Account Manually
- How To Export Mac Outlook Emails to the IMAP Account
- Setup Outlook for Windows With the IMAP account
- Import OLM file to Windows Outlook Using Professional Software
Method 1: How to Create an IMAP Account
- First, Open Gmail or another webmail, then go to Settings.
- Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tabs under Settings.
- Now verify the state of IMAP; if it isn’t turned on, enable IMAP and Save changes.
Earlier, We discussed the method of Creating an IMAP Account. If this approach does not work for some users, they should try another method of configuring Outlook for Mac with an IMAP account.
Method 2: Configure Outlook for Mac with an IMAP Account Manually
- Navigate to the Tool tab in Outlook for Mac and select Accounts.
- Now, Choose the Email and fill in your email address, password, and other related information.
- Then hit Add Account and provide IMAP server, SSL connection with the SMTP server, and 465 as a port number.
As above methods of Outlook for Mac with an IMAP account are discussed. If the user finds any difficulty to perform the manual methods, we have another technique to export Mac Outlook emails to the IMAP account.
Method 3: How To Export Mac Outlook Emails to the IMAP Account
- First, start Outlook on Mac and select the item you want to transfer.
- Right-click on the folder you want to copy, then choose Move> Copy to Folder.
- Now, you have to select Copy after locating the name of your IMAP folder.
- After that, use the Send/Receive button to update the IMAP folder, and all of your OLM emails should now be in the IMAP account.
Require methods of Outlook are previously discussed to export Mac Outlook emails to the IMAP account. If the user still does not get results, we have another method to set up Outlook for Windows with the IMAP account.
Method 4: Setup Outlook for Windows With the IMAP Account
- First, select the Mail, go to Email Accounts, and then New from the Control Panel.
- Choose manually configure server settings and hit on Next.
- To continue, select the IMAP/POP option and press Next.
- Now, enter your IMAP account credentials and Incoming and Outgoing server details, and click the More Settings tab.
- Then, enter 465 as the SMPT server port number and choose the SSL connection.
- Click on the Advanced tab, enter the IMAP server’s 993 port number, and select SSL connection.
- Finally, hit the Next and then Finish button after a few minutes.
We discussed to setup Outlook for Windows with the IMAP account. Now further we tell you about the limitations of exporting emails to PST.
Limitations of Export Email to PST
The following Limitations are given below to export email to PST
- The process is lengthy and time-consuming.
- Technical expertise is necessary.
- Due to human missteps, there is a high risk of data corruption or loss.
Recently, We discussed the limitations of exporting email to PST by using manual methods in the simple steps. Now, we tell you above about importing OLM files to Windows Outlook using third-party software.
Method 5: Import OLM file to Windows Outlook Using Professional Software
Here are various methods to create PST files. It works expertly and helps in avoiding data corruption. And, if you are searching for a tool that works effectively on your system to convert to Outlook, then third-party software is perfect. It is the best one-stop solution for accurately importing OLM files to Windows Outlook without any data loss.
In the final, as we tell you there are multiple techniques to convert Outlook OLM to PST. To simplify the situation, we have introduced manual and professional methods. As we discussed, the first manual approaches with their limits. Although, we introduced an automated procedure recommended by IT professionals. I hope your issue regarding how do I convert OLM files is fixed now.