36 million strong, the streaming giant Hulu is one of the biggest streaming services all over the world. With such a massive user base and ocean of content, it is prone to errors and bugs. In this article, we discuss these errors and how to fix them yourself, not to have to wait to satisfy your craving for all the great content that Hulu has to offer. You can also watch video on demand on Hulu. So, without any more waiting, let’s get into it.
What are the Common Hulu Fixes?
Errors mostly show up on Hulu due to poor internet connection or issues with the streaming server or the device on which Hulu is being streamed or you put wrong login info on the sign-in page. Below is the list of fixes that you can try to troubleshoot for this streaming service.
- Check the internet connectivity of the device.
- Check whether the Hulu app is up to date.
- Check if the OS of the Streaming Device is up to date.
- Check the status of the home network device.
- Try restarting the Streaming device as well as the home network device.
- Try reinstalling the Hulu app.
Hulu Not Working Issues – Possible Fixes
1. Hulu Error Codes 3 & 5
Both error 3 & error 5 are triggered when there is some issue with the internet connectivity on the streaming device. It pops up when Hulu is not able to play content and buffers.
Way to fix these errors:
- Restart the streaming device. Try unplugging the home network device and reconnecting it.
- Try connecting your device to the home network via a wired connection instead of wireless. After you’ve done these two steps and the error still exists, the chances are that the error is popping up due to the Hulu app or the Operating System not being up to date.
- Look for updates and make sure that both the app and the OS are updated.
2. Fix Hulu error code 16 (invalid region Issue)
Hulu only provides service in the U.S.A. and Japan. The error code 16 pops up when Hulu detects that a VPN is being used to access it. Sometimes, people from outside the USA & Japan try to access Hulu with the help of a proxy service. In that case, Hulu detects this activity and throws an Error code 16.
But if you’re in a region where Hulu is available and still get this error, the chances are that Hulu thinks that you’re using a VPN. You have to turn off the proxy settings.
How to turn off proxy settings on an Android device:
Go to settings > Wifi & Internet > Click on the ‘Gear icon’ > turn the settings off for ‘Always-on VPN.
How to turn off proxy settings on an iOS device:
Go to Settings > Click on ‘Wifi’ > Click on ‘blue circle icon’ > Find ‘HTTP proxy’ option > set it ‘off’.
If the problem exists even after doing these steps, here are few more troubleshooting steps to try.
- Try streaming over a different Wifi connection.
- Try streaming over cellular data.
If any of these two work, chances are that the Wifi that you were earlier connected to must’ve been using a transparent proxy. You can contact your network service provider to fix it.
3. Fix Hulu error code 400
Hulu error code 400 is triggered when the information associated with the account has some issue. To troubleshoot this issue, you can reinstall the app or remove the device from the account.
How to remove a device from a Hulu account:
- Log in to Hulu from a web browser.
- Click on your profile, which will be present on the top right of the window, just beside the search option, and then click on ‘Account.’ Now click on ‘Manage devices.’
- After clicking on manage devices, you’ll get a list of devices that have access to Hulu. From this list, locate the device which is getting the error code 400.
- Click on the ‘Remove’ option, which will be in front of the device name.
This should solve the error code 400.
4. Fix Hulu error code 500
Error 500 of Hulu is a server-related issue. This error is triggered mostly while using the Hulu website, but the chances are that you may see this error even when you’re on their application.
There is little to nothing you can do to fix this error from your end. All you can try is using the website from a different web browser or a different streaming device. It is also suggested to check your internet connectivity if this error shows up.
5. Fix Hulu error code 5003
Error 5003 of Hulu is a playback-related issue. This error pops up when there is an issue with the Hulu app or the streaming device.
Ways to Fix this error:
- Update the Hulu application
- Reinstall the Hulu application
- Check for OS updates of the Streaming device and keep it updated.
- Restart your streaming device.
6. Fix Hulu protected content errors
Error codes associated with Content protection on Hulu are ‘ 3307, 3321, 3343, 3336, 0326, 3322, 2203.’ Protected content errors are triggered when a user is trying to view protected content from an unsupported device.
Ways to fix this error:
- Plug an HDMI cable into your monitor. Make sure it’s not a VGA cable.
- In case you have a multi-monitor setup. Unplug the second monitor.
- Update your Web browser.
- Make sure your computer is not in sleeping mode.
7. Fix Hulu HDCP errors
HDCP is an acronym for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. HDCP error can be triggered if you are using a display, i.e., a monitor or television set that is outdated and is unable to connect with an updated device. It can also be triggered when there is an issue related to HDMI cables.
Ways to fix HDCP errors:
- Remove HDMI cable from both the streaming device and the display.
- Completely turn off both the devices.
- Reconnect the HDMI cable to both devices
- Restart the Streaming device and Display
8. Hulu outages and error Code BYA-403-007
Hulu BYA errors are related to playback issues. These errors are the outcome of issues from Hulu’s end. To crosscheck this error, try viewing different content on Hulu. If the other content is playable, then it’s a sign that Hulu’s servers are experiencing an outage that affects some content. If all the content is not playable, then you’ll have to wait for Hulu to fix the outage from their end.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where to check device compatibility?
You can check whether your device is compatible with Hulu or not here
Can I access Hulu if I’m traveling in regions where it is not available?
NO, you cannot access Hulu in regions where it is not available, even if you’re an American or Japanese citizen. You need to be in these two countries.
How do I update Hulu on My smart TV?
For a step-by-step guide to updating Hulu on any smart TV. visit here
How much does Hulu cost?
Hulu plans start from 5.99 USD to 54.99 USD. You can learn more about their pricing by clicking here.
As Big is the streaming service, the list of errors that it has is not small too. If Hulu is actually down then you can check its social media handles to confirm that. But you have our step-by-step guide to help you with any kind of error that Hulu throws at you. Following our guide correctly will help you fix the issues in no time; you can enjoy your favorite content without having to wait for anyone else to come and fix your problems and stream Hulu freely on gaming consoles, mobile, and smart TVs.
You might also like: