There isn’t a better time to bond with your dog than during a road trip. However, you’ll need to curate a checklist to make this trip worthwhile. Just like babies, our furry friends require all the care and attention you can give.
Look into all the crucial factors, including medical checkups, dog clothes, before going on a long trip. Double-checking your list makes it easier for you on the actual material day. Here are some of the essential items you’ll need for your road trip.
Enough Food and Water
Some dogs tend to have issues with their tummies while on the road. Car sickness is a common problem that you may want to look into before the road trip. It mostly affects puppies as they are not yet used to being inside a moving vehicle.
Ensure to keep enough food and water because your dog will eventually get hungry and thirsty. Take it easy on your dog if it has a history of motion sickness.
To tame this problem, take your dog out on a short trip to the store. It helps them get accustomed to moving around in a car. Eventually, they’ll grow to enjoy hours of endless drives and may even fall asleep.
Dogs are unpredictable and may end up getting distracted along the way. When shopping for the best leashes for your dog, keep these factors in mind to guide you:
Strong but Comfortable Handle
Keeping an eye on your dog can be quite tiresome, especially on your hands. Get a strong leash that’s compatible with the best dog clothes while providing all the necessary comfort to your hands.
It provides security to your dog’s collar even when it jumps into a sudden frenzy. The buckle should be strong enough to hold the leash firmly to a post when the need arises.
This factor assures you of durability as you get to adjust it according to your dog’s size when it grows.
Dogs tend to get anxious and aggravated out of the blue. Dog treats help keep your dog calm during such tense moments. What’s more, they are a good way of telling your dog how much you appreciate their cooperation. Here are some factors in choosing the best treats for your dog:
- Nutritious value – As much as possible, gather all the healthy snacks you can get for your dog. Natural snacks have loads of benefits compared to the processed ones.
- The size – Not all dogs can handle the same size of bones. Giving your puppy a dog meant for a German Shepherd will only destroy its teeth that are yet to develop.
- The purpose – Doggy treats could either be for settling the hunger pangs while others are just snacks.
- The manufacturers – Check on the reviews given by previous clients to know what to expect from the doggy treats you plan to buy. Feeding your dog from time to time during the trip could be a disaster. Keep track of their feeding times to avoid overfeeding or starving your dog.
Dog Waste Bags
Waste bags are essential and convenient when going on a road trip with your dog. They save time, especially when you aren’t planning on making frequent stops during the road trip.
What’s more, they save you the awkward smells that’ll fill up your car when you haven’t trained your dog yet. Here are guiding factors when you urgently need to buy dog poop bags for your road trip.
- Must be leak-proof – Since the poop might be accompanied by liquid waste, you shouldn’t take any chances by settling for the ones without the leak-proof feature.
- Easy to open – Poop bags that are easy to open will save you time when your dog urgently needs to go. Besides, you won’t have to waste so much energy trying to get it to open.
- Freshly scented – Dog poop smell is rather unpleasant and generally unhealthy. Investing in dog poop bags that can mask this smell is a smart move. You can select among various scents. For instance, the Lavender smell will keep the horrible smell of dog poop at bay.
- Value for your money – Go for the rolls that contain so many bags at an affordable price. Online shopping is a smart way to get great deals on dog poop bags. What’s more, client reviews will grant you access to the best and worst products yet, so you know what to embrace and avoid.
Dog Crate or Cage
Crating your dog is a safety measure that you shouldn’t take lightly. A dog crate is useful as it helps keep your dog rooted in the same position. Allowing it to move around in the car as you drive is risky.
A dog comes with multiple responsibilities, but this shouldn’t limit you from enjoying memorable road trips once in a while. Double-check your checklist two weeks before the road trip with your dog to make everything easy for you and your dog.